Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A,J, Styles vs. Christopher Daniels

Bound For Glory was just two nights ago, and the only match I have any interest in talking about is AJ vs. Daniels.  It was a spellbinding match, but for me it went just a little bit over the top.  I've been trying to pinpoint why for a few hours now, and I think I've finally put my finger on what bothers me so badly.

It wasn't the violence level.  I grew up on old school ECW. I'm used to violence.  If you don't like violence, why in the world are you watching wrestling in the first place?  This match reminded me a lot of the feeling I used to get watching those wonderful matches out of a little bingo hall.  More recently, there was the fabled Mankind-Rock match with Mick's wife and children at ringside.  The camera focused on the horror on the children's faces many times, and if i remember my history correctly, there was even a point where Collette Foley removed the children from ringside because they were too scared by what they saw.

It wasn't the storyline.  Many good wrestling stories have revolved around the idea of two friends with a splintered relationship beating the dogmess out of each other for our enjoyment.  The Rockers, Raven and Tommy Dreamer, and Macho Man and Hulk Hogan are all examples that float to the top of my mind.

What was it then?  The screwdriver? No... that's not it.  In wrestling, all tools are just props, and I treat them as such in my mind.

Finally, I pinpointed my issue, and when it did, it hit me like a ton of bricks.  You know that part in the match where Daniels grabbed the microphone and spoke directly into camera at AJ's wife, and advised her to take the kids out of the room, because he didn't want them to see him "murder their father in cold blood."

That was the moment that rattled around in my head and gathered into one giant boulder of disgust.  Murder.

Unfortunately, most of the time when wrestling is mentioned in the media, it's due to tragedy.  Not too long ago, murder was the reason why.  It's a galvanizing topic, and one that always skirts controversy and arguments galore within the internet community.  Even the mention of the murderer's name is enough to raise the ire of entire webforums.

That man's name was Chris Benoit.  I do not wish to discuss him right now, in a positve or a negative light.  I may broach the topic one day, but that day isn't today.

The main point I'm trying to make here is that even in the no holds barred circus of professional wrestling, there are certain boundaries that should not be crossed.  Ever.  Murder, even implied or attempted murder, is one of them.  It brings up bad memories of a time when wrestling was drug out into the media and beaten down.  I can't even be jovial about it.  It makes me sad.

That being said, I did think the match told a good story. I also look forward to at least two more matches from these great competitors.  Just...please, no more murder...

No comments:

Post a Comment