Friday, January 13, 2012

Impact 1-12-12

Matches:

1. Matt Morgan & Crimson v. Robbie E & Robbie T
2. ODB v. Winter
3. James Storm v. Kurt Angle
4. Bobby Roode v. Jeff Hardy


I didn't even bother to make notes last night, and I'm not even going to bother to rate the matches. ODB and Winter was well worth watching, if for no other reason than that she and EY have amazing chemistry together. Whoever thought of booking those two as a team should get a medal, because it's the best thing the company has done this year. Other than that, it was nice to see Winter back in the ring again. Earlier in the day I was thinking about how it was Impact night and I suddenly realized that we hadn't seen her in quite some time. It's like TNA was reading my thoughts... from the future... or something.

The rest of the show surrounding that match, however, was a clusterfuck. I'm not sure they know how the whole pay-per-view thing works. Or maybe their talent just doesn't care or understand that a PPV performance should have pretty much most of the exciting spots, and that's where they should spend their energy. Okay, first of all, half of the card for the following weekly program should not consist of PPV rematches. And if it does, the performers should not be working harder to make a more exciting match than the one people at home paid for.

... Maybe that's the problem. Is anyone actually paying for it?

Moving along, let's look at some developments from last night... Since Storm and Angle are both keen on regaining the World Heavyweight Championship, and also keen on beating the hell out of each other some more, Sting booked them for a #1 contenders match. The winner would be taking on the winner of the Roode/Hardy match at Against All Odds. Meanwhile, over at the Roode/Hardy match, it was sometimes hard to tell if anyone had the upper hand. James Storm, having beaten Angle, I'm sure was watching breathlessly from the back. Or maybe he was like the rest of us, having a beer, still thinking about AJ Styles' Epic Mic Skills, and wondering what the hell Christopher Daniels has over Kazarian, who looks like someone just ran over his puppy.

Anyway, like I was saying, Roode tried to wrestle Hardy while Hardy did his best to use his own body as a ranged weapon, flying from every direction, and possibly injuring himself in the process. It's a good thing those fangirls were in the front row to remind him that a Creature of the Night never quits! Jeff hit one Twist of Fate/Swanton combo, which Roode sold like death only to resurrect himself immediately. He beat up Hardy some more only to be hit with ANOTHER ToF/Swanton. I was about to get up and leave the room in anger as the ref was counting, but I didn't get the chance before Bully Ray beamed down from the Starship Trending #1 Worldwide on Twitter and pulled the ref out. That finish was so muddled, I don't even know what to call it. DQ? No-Contest? I think TNA just gained a level in Confuse.

A quick note about Hardy before I finish. I've stated before that I'm a very forgiving person, and willing to give him another chance if he can show that he's truly cleaned himself up and can still perform. And he can still perform. That's not to say that I don't think he's really turned his life around; that is still to be seen. And that is why I'm so pissed off with him being right back in the title picture. It's too soon. I don't know if the company is just trying to keep him busy, or give him motivation to keep it up, but they should be working a climbing-his-way back-up angle. That, I think, would motivate him more for the long-term, if he had to spend about a year going through the rest of the roster in order to get back on top. So I guess my problem here isn't actually Jeff; it's the people behind the scenes going, "Oh, Jeff Hardy's back; we can put him in a title match again." And the worst part of the angle is that Jeff's biggest supporter is Sting. The man who had to put him down when he was at his worst. Way to totally miss the point, TNA.

Oh, and ten bucks says Garrett Bischoff's new trainer is Hogan.

No comments:

Post a Comment